Tired of sitting around at home but unsure of what to do with your weekend? Read our Weekend Getaway Guide: GSTAAD EDITION to get inspired and off your couch (unless of course you are currently on quarantine order – then stay tuned for our Quarantine Fun Guide!). All locations in our Weekend Getaway Guide series are reachable by car or – even better of course – by train:
Our favorite idyllic Swiss Alpine village in the Bernese Mountains has everything you need for the perfect weekend. With its beautiful scenery, gorgeous chalets, all the best shops, cute local bakeries and cheese stores, there’s plenty to discover. And your spoiled for choice of where to stay too! We adore the Alpina Hotel (read our post here) and the nearby Hotel de Rougemont.
As ski lifts are currently still open, we recommend taking a day trip up the mountain and packing a picnic from one of the local shops! Our tip: Take the Panoramic Golden Pass train line and enjoy unbelievable views of the scenery!
Here’s our list of the top 5 things to do while in Gstaad:
1. Eggli Cable Car – take a ride up the mountain with the new Eggli Cable Car! Without a doubt one of the fanciest cable cars in Switzerland (is it just us or does the logo look a lot like Gucci?) – and needless to say the view is stunning.
2. Megu @ The Alpina – the closest you will ever come to a Nobu in Switzerland. Aside from the delicious range of Japanese specialities, a must-try is the truffle sashimi. Make your reservation at Megu now!
3. Shopping at the Promenade – easily one of our favorite locations for shopping in Switzerland. Not only do the the stores have unique items and special editions that you can’t find in any of the other stores in Geneva or Zurich – they are (normally) also open on Sundays! And of course, the chalet-style design of the shops are to die for – have you ever seen a cuter Louis Vuitton?
4. Spa day @ Ultima – with its chrome interior and outdoor whirpool, there is nothing quite like it. Discover more here: Ultima Gstaad.
5. La Mirage – this one-of-a-kind art installation by Doug Aitken is must see while in Gstaad. Make sure you visit while it’s still there!